Simplified Block Diagram
Click any title below to view the detail page where available.
- Selectable Number of Cells (1 to 16)
- Selectable Maximum Fast-Charging Timeout
- Selectable Charging Current
- Battery Temperature Monitoring Capabilities
- Adjustable Temperature Limits
- LED Indication of Fast-Charge Cycle
- On-Board Battery Holder for 1 or 2 AA Cells
- Voltage-Slope Fast-Charge Termination
- Battery-Powered Applications
- Cell Phones
- Cordless Phones
- Handy Terminals
- Laptop, Notebook, and Palmtop Computers
- Portable Consumer Products
- Portable Stereos
The MAX712 EV kit automatically initiates the high- current, fast-charge cycle when batteries are installed into the holder. An LED indicates that the fast-charge sequence is in progress. Fast charge terminates when the maximum charging time has lapsed, or the circuit detects that full charge has been achieved, and/or if the temperature is beyond acceptable limits.
Thermistors are provided for optionally monitoring the battery temperature. The fast-charge cycle can be inhibited if the battery is too cold, or terminated if the battery temperature rises beyond limits. The temperature thresholds are adjustable using potentiometers on the board.